[MUD-Dev] Re: Wild idea.. :)

Marc Hernandez marc at jb.com
Wed Sep 2 22:50:18 CEST 1998

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Ben Greear wrote:

}So, who here is considering writing a server that talks (only)
}with a graphical client.  And not just a web browser.  I'm talking
}fully 3-d rendering with all the assembly (or whatever) that goes
}with it.

	Which happily (though assembly isnt bad) is not much anymore.  Now
it seems to be making sure you only send the rasterizer x many triangles
(where x is somewhere between 3000 and 8000 per frame in batches of 30-50)
and sort the triangles based on what texture they are.

}I personally, don't know diddly about high end graphics, or even
}non-java GUI programming, so doing such a client would be out
}of my real.
}Does anyone know of any (GNU or similarly licensed) thing that
}might function as such a client, if one could supply the back
}end?

	There are a couple that seem ok.  The only thing is usually they
are indoor engines.
http://www.genesis3d.com/
http://crystal.linuxgames.com/

	With genesis it seems you get a lib to link to with crystal you
get complete source.  Im looking at implementing a landscape engine and
possibly include it into crystal spaces portal based technology (or
creating my own indoor engine...).

Marc Hernandez		marc at eisoftware.com
Programmer		www.eisoftware.com