[MUD-Dev] Re:Intermud Communication...is it worth it?

Michael.Willey at abnamro.com Michael.Willey at abnamro.com
Thu Sep 3 09:07:02 CEST 1998

     Subject:  [MUD-Dev] Intermud Communication...is it worth it?
     Author:   mud-dev at kanga.nu (Ben Greear <greear at cyberhighway.net>)
     Date:          9/3/98 4:32 AM

>A fellow was talking with me about coding up an inter-mud
>tell/gossip/mail type of thing...  I know it's been done
>before, and finally found where (www.imaginary.com).
>
>But, before I go and hack another shack onto the ghetto
>that is my code, I'd like to hear opinions on either the
>existing protocols, or the idea in general...
>
>I, for instance, don't think I'd ever use it as a player,
>and it is horribly OOC, even for my hack and slash mentality.
>But, if players liked it (and use it where it exists today),
>then I'll seriously consider it...
>
>So, what do you think?

We've had that very package running for a few years.
Mechanically, it's fine.  If you have a burning desire to
have mud-level communication with people on another mud,
it's great.  I've found it to be occasionally useful, but no
real godsend.  It does seem to be one of those features that
players will complain about if it's missing, but seldom use
if it's implemented.