[MUD-Dev] Re: Intermud Communication...is it worth it?

T. Alexander Popiel popiel at snugharbor.com
Thu Sep 3 10:10:58 CEST 1998

In message:  <Pine.LNX.3.96.980902212739.15853A-100000 at shamen.cyberhighway.net>
             Ben Greear <greear at cyberhighway.net> writes:

>A fellow was talking with me about coding up an inter-mud
>tell/gossip/mail type of thing...  I know it's been done
>before, and finally found where (www.imaginary.com).

There's also the rpage protocol that was used by Tiny* stuff
(but has been largely abandoned in favor of multi-mudding);
talk to Lydia Leong about getting the code (lwl at digex.net).
Also, there's the MUDnet bots; for info on those, contact
Zenty (zenty at usa.net), sTiLe (stile at mindless.com), Bobby
(bobby at socalled.com), or hellspawn (tdragond at heads.mit.edu),
or mail omni at mux.net.

>But, before I go and hack another shack onto the ghetto
>that is my code, I'd like to hear opinions on either the
>existing protocols, or the idea in general...

InterMUD-3 (the stuff at imaginary.com) does not support
multi-target messages effectively, and this is one of the
most-requested extensions.

rpage is effectively dead.

MudNet is actively used, but I know next to nothing about it.

On the feature as a whole, the idea is cute, but I prefer to
just log in to multiple MUDs at once.

- Alex