[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

quzah quzah at geocities.com
Fri Sep 4 14:52:04 CEST 1998

From: Koster, Raph <rkoster at origin.ea.com> on Friday, September 04, 1998 8:19 AM

No, I like ambush scenarios. It can provide a great deal of amusment.
Take for example the boring old 'etheral knight' out in some swamps
in a stock diku area. The first time I had it "poof" into existance,
and gate in two vampires... well let's just say it was a surprise to
me.

On Pirate, they had the hmm.. 'black marble slayer' and 'white marble
(something or other)', and they were like that I think... something
that only a few had soloed. A great goal to have done I think.

>In other words, it was a case where something that was actually of
>immense value to the mud was also exploited to the deteriment of the mud
>by unscrupulous players. I'd argue that ALL your worst exploits are
>going to be of highly desirable features. That's what makes them the
>worst.

I really wish there was some way to be able to set up scenarios like
the vampire where OOC information wouldn't spoil the treat. I guess
it's like taking the time to develope one massive maze, and have the
first person through it sell off their map to everyone, or post it
on a web page. It makes it hard/is very discouraging when you are
trying for some neat effect, and people just rip through it without
any second thought.

>It wasn't a death trap, as noted. Just a very very difficult
>situation...

Nod.
-Q-