[MUD-Dev] Re: Equipment Fit

Sun Sep 6 10:28:04 CEST 1998

[Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt:]

 >  B) The fit is -30 for 30 days, until BOS->fit is 0, and
 >     thus BOS->owner is set to 'Ackbar'. That assumes
 >     that the "BOS->fit += 1" in reality meant "BOS->fit -= 1" :-)
 >     .. decrasing the fit from 30 to 0 over a month.
 >
 >In any event, you'd need some _more parameters_ to implement this
 >nice idea the way it was originally described. That was what i was
 >commenting. BOS->fit and BOS->owner isn't enough.

Allow me to jump in with some pseudocode:

    initialization:
	BOS->fit = 0; BOS->owner = NULL;

    while wearing:
	if (BOS->owner == NULL) {
	    BOS->owner = currentWearer;
	}
	if (BOS->owner == currentWearer) {
	    BOS->fit += 1;
	} else {
	    BOS->fit -= 1;
	    if (BOS->fit == 0) {
		BOS->owner = NULL;
	    }
	}

    to get the "fit" value:
	if (BOS->owner == currentWearer) {
	    return BOS->fit;
	} else {
	    return - BOS->fit;
	}

When Ackbar starts wearing the boots, he is not set as the owner of them.
"fit"-ness values can be negative, indicating a very poor fit. This
is what I deduced that Holly was suggesting.

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA