[MUD-Dev] Re: lurker emerges

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Sep 16 17:25:52 CEST 1998

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998 21:49:48 -0700 (MST)
Ben Greear<greear at cyberhighway.net> wrote:

> It'll be a cold day in Hell when I thread a c++ program, and so I
> dearly love my non-blocking IO.  I see few multi-processor
> machines in my immediate future, and even so, will probably opt to
> 'thread' at the process level, think server-clustering or
> something :)

Don't be so sure.  Dual PII machines are now well under US$2K, even
with toys.  SMP machines are only minorly more expensive to make
than mon-processor (compare MB prices for dual MB's to mono, its not
much), and given an OS which can drive such a system intelligently
(Linux is only partway there due to global kernel locks (this is
being handled)) the performance gains can significantly exceed the
normal price/performance ratio (depends of course on load).

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com