[MUD-Dev] Re: Marian's Tailor vs. Psychopaths

James Wilson jwilson at rochester.rr.com
Sat Sep 19 12:03:35 CEST 1998

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, quzah wrote:
>From: James Wilson <jwilson at rochester.rr.com> on Friday, September 18 at 1998
>6:37 PM
>>On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>>>Anyhow, I wanted to point out that a similar (although not identical) tack
>>>was taken on some of the older whitie vs. darkie muds.  The one I had the
>>
>>excuse me? "whitie" and "darkie"?!?
>>
>>the connection between RL racism and the traditional fantasy conceit of
>>'monstrous' races has never been expressed more clearly.
>>
>>James, who feels unclean
>
>Not an advocate of any racism, however, do you mean to say that the
>black and white chess pieces (as they are often represented) are also
>racist? Likewise, the concept of good == light, and dark == evil is
>also a racist term? I have never thought of it that way, then again,
>perhaps I am just (phonetical) ni-eve (grin).
>-Q-

'darkie' is a racist epithet. like 'spade' or 'nigger', but to a lesser
degree (imo). 'whitie' is a racist  term blacks use for whites, akin to
'honky' or 'cracker' (tho that is a bit more specific, meaning something
closer to 'redneck'). this is unlike chess in that the black and white
chess pieces are not named 'wop's and 'spic's.

James