[MUD-Dev] Re: Marian's Tailor vs. Psychopaths

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Sat Sep 19 17:40:56 CEST 1998

James Wilson wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, quzah wrote:
> >From: James Wilson <jwilson at rochester.rr.com> on Friday, September 18 at 1998
> >6:37 PM
> >>
> >>excuse me? "whitie" and "darkie"?!?
> >>
> >>the connection between RL racism and the traditional fantasy conceit of
> >>'monstrous' races has never been expressed more clearly.
> >>
> >>James, who feels unclean
> >
> >Not an advocate of any racism, however, do you mean to say that the
> >black and white chess pieces (as they are often represented) are also
> >racist? Likewise, the concept of good == light, and dark == evil is
> >also a racist term? I have never thought of it that way, then again,
> >perhaps I am just (phonetical) ni-eve (grin).
> >-Q-
>
> 'darkie' is a racist epithet. like 'spade' or 'nigger', but to a lesser

[snip]

Surely this would only be the case if the 'darkie' did indeed HAVE dark-
coloured skin?  Besides, I was under the impression that racism was when
someone was considered inferior - not just different - because of their
race and/or skin colour.  Most races are proud of their heritage.

Darkie vs Whitie, Darkness vs Light, Black magic vs White Magic, Good vs
Evil...it's a common enough theme, but then I've heard people object to
Snow White (for being racist I believe) so I can't say I'm totally
surprised at your opinion.

KaVir.