[MUD-Dev] Re: Ugh, IS Diablo a mud?

Michael.Willey at abnamro.com Michael.Willey at abnamro.com
Wed Sep 23 14:44:32 CEST 1998

     Subject:  [MUD-Dev] Re: Ugh, IS Diablo a mud?
     Author:   mud-dev at kanga.nu ("Koster, Raph" <rkoster at origin.ea.com>)
     Date:          9/23/98 3:05 PM

Raph wrote:
> [...]

For another Aber-derivative: In the LP world persistence
is mostly an illusion - it's common for the entire world
to be reset every 30 minutes.  The illusion is that it's
done slowly, one object at a time, so as to appear like
it's not happening at all.

With each definition of what is *not* a mud I see more and
more games that most certainly *are* muds that fall into
the "not mud" category, or barely escape it.  A
conventional definition of what a mud is from a few years
ago would have included "text based" and "free" in the
text.  Raph would certainly take offense if told that UOL
was not a mud.  I wouldn't blame him.

I know a few people whose definition of "mud" doesn't
include the Tiny family.  "Glorified Chat" is what I've
heard it called.  The same definition precludes non-game
muds, like one I know that acts as a support group for
cancer victims, one mentioned here occasionally that is
devoted to astronomy, and one a friend works for whose
purpose is to provide an educational environment for people
not able to attend normal classes.

I know this isn't the answer we want to hear, but perhaps
Diablo *is* a mud.  A limited one, certainly, but a mud
nonetheless.