[MUD-Dev] Re: Legend's speech system and moods

quzah quzah
Wed Sep 23 16:47:11 CEST 1998

From: Koster, Raph <rkoster at origin.ea.com> on Wednesday, September 23, 1998 at
9:59 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Legend's speech system and moods

>OK, I promptly got a request to go into more detail, so here it is.
>
>First off, this system (like all of Legend's systems) was designed to be
>layered on top of a Diku. I have real affection for Diku-style muds,
>which I call "template-based" muds. They are easy to maintain and easy
>to expand, they're just not very dynamic. But the basic premise can
>easily be applied to any code base.

Agreed. I love the fact that you can rip out huge pieces, or add
in something with a lot of ease (and you can teach yourself C with
them ;)

>First, we added a "mood" stored on characters. And we added a global
>table of moods that looks something like this:

[snip the moods.h example, and the example of how they are parsed.]

And then, sometimes you just have to say, "Goddamn, that's cool."
(grin) I am sure it's very easy for a great number of you to just
whip up something like that, but personally, I found it a very cool
idea, one which I probably would have never though of, or something
that would have found its way eventually to the to-do-someday list.
Perhaps I impress easily, but I liked it. Many of you do that, I just
thought I'd comment on this on, though quite frequently, I find myself
doing the same thing; "Dang, why didn't I think of that?" ;)
-Q-