[MUD-Dev] Re: META: What are you looking for in this list?

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Sep 23 21:22:41 CEST 1998

On 07:22 PM 9/23/98 -0700, I personally witnessed J C Lawrence jumping up
to say:

>The MUD Development mailing list is not platform, language or game
>specific, but concentrates on discussing the design and implementation
>of any and all MUD servers and systems. Another large related topic is
>game design. This does not mean that the details of a specific server
>or game design point can't be discussed in excruciating detail, or
>even that server or game source can't be bandied about and picked

>over, just that the list isn't to become a religious stomping ground
>for your platform, language, server, or hobby horse of choice. The
>topic definition is not limited to technical areas: social
>engineering, cultural considerations, applicability of technical
>addresses to "soft" problems, and other less rigorous avenues of
>investigation are also fair game.

Hmmm... looking at this, I could boil it down to "We talk about building
MUDs. Holy wars are off-topic." Doesn't quite have the serious feel yours
does, though. In fact, it sounds downright silly, and would likely increase
the noise level. ;)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com>   | "I'm not sorry or
Darklock Communications <http://www.darklock.com/> |  ashamed of who I
PGP Key AD21EE50 at <http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/~bal/> |  really am."