[MUD-Dev] Re: META: hat are you looking for in this list?

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Thu Sep 24 11:29:31 CEST 1998

Writing as list owner:

  Please keep this thread under the original META subject as
requested.

No longer writing as list owner:

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:11:52 +0200 (MDT)
Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt<hhs at cbs.dtu.dk> wrote:

> Recently one of my friends finished his thesis on fully dynamic
> algorithms of graphs, where he actually gives an 'easy' and FAST
> algorithm for minimal spanning tree (forest) in the dynamic case,
> where things change. There is also an article:

>   J.Holm, K. de Lichtenberg, and M. Thorup. Poly-logarithmic
> deterministic fully-dynamic algorithms for connectivity, minimum
> spanning tree, 2-edge and bi-connectivity. In Proc. 30th Symp. on
> Theory of Computation, 1998

> Ofcause the article is just a description of the algorithm, you'd
> still need to code it. But as these kinds of algorithms go its
> EASY by comparison.

> (is this on topic?)

I'd welcome pointers to the article (if available) as well.
Detailed discussion of the implementation of the algorithm would be
beyond the scope of this list.  If there is interest I have no
problem with setting up another mailing list for such coding
problems.

Again, the question is purpose.  We've previously had discussion
here on the selection and compartitive advantages of various
pseudo-random number generators.  Its a narrow, intricate, and
complex field which in *general* doesn't apply to MUD-Dev, but does
have a very specific field of relevance to MUDs and thus MUD-Dev.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com