[MUD-Dev] Re: META: What are you looking for in this list?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Sep 24 13:57:44 CEST 1998

J C Lawrence <claw at under.engr.sgi.com> wrote:

> Writing as list owner:
>[...]
>   What is *YOUR* purpose and interest in this list?  What would you
> really like to get out of the list?  What would you like to do with
> the list?  Some I know are here purely for the technical aspects of
> server development (an area that has received little coverage on the
> list of late): how to write performant networking code, how to tune
> and design their data model, what the concerns and techniques are in
> writing a MUD programming language ala LP/MOO/MUF/ColdC/etc.  Others
> I know are interested in hack'n'slash game design, RP, real virtual
> world creation, etc. etc, etc, etc.

I am primarily interested in technical, server-agnostic, discussions
and in hearing about the <results> of design decisions and policies
in actual running muds.  What I will be posting about is my own
research in server development.

I think the recent signal loss is not due to new members asking old
questions, but to new members giving bad answers.  This has reached
embarassing levels, as when a newbie explained the MUD acronym to
a longtime list veteran.  I would like people to be more careful
about what they post.

Felix Croes