[MUD-Dev] Re: Ugh, IS Diablo a mud?

Kylotan kylotan at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Sep 26 22:01:38 CEST 1998

Jon Leonard <jleonard at divcom.slimy.com> wrote:
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: Ugh, IS Diablo a mud?

>On Sat, Sep 26, 1998 at 02:38:55AM +0100, Kylotan wrote:
>[stuff including a list of traits that make a game 'mudlike']
>> -- Character persistence across games, including character
>> 'advancement'.
>
>However, the mudlike games that I'm aware of don't have character
portability.
>The relevant data for the character is authoritatively stored on the
server,
>and not transferrable to a different game.

I apologize, as now I realise that I used the wrong word above. In
hindsight, it should have read "Character persistence
across -sessions-..." rather than 'games'. The idea is to show that you
can stop playing, and come back to that point at a later time or date.
Again, there are many games we don't consider muds that have this
facility, but there are few that we -do- consider muds that don't :)

Kylotan.