[MUD-Dev] Re: let's call it a spellcraft

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Sun Sep 27 02:37:09 CEST 1998

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

[skipped]
> You do NOT want to know how much of the AD&D rules had to be rewritten to
> accommodate the classless character. Suffice to say it was second only to
> the amount of rewriting necessary to do away with separate to-hit/damage
> rolls and replace them with a single roll.

The problem with D&D (or AD&D, for that matter) is (was, I've read your
of _exceptions_ from rules (IMHO). It lacks consistency and resembles a
very heavy legalese. It's impossible to formalize.

On the other hand, it's immortal for a very simple reason - easy name
recognition and halo of honor around it ;-)

Side note: have anyone played with non-linear dependencies which can
easily simulate the lack of consistency in [A]D&D world? There was an
excellent example with a logarithm and sinus modulation to the
experience/difficulty of learning curve, is that all?

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>