[MUD-Dev] Re: After a long absense, a semi-return (and TFD)

Sun Sep 27 13:14:57 CEST 1998

Nathan F Yospe wrote:
[...]
> Here I differ a little in philosophy. All players... all characters... a
> character controlled by an admin, or one controlled by a newbie... start
> out the same, and none has any way - as a character - to affect the game
> world, beyond actions as a *normal* character. Admins affect things as a
> force of nature, from an administrative account, by such hooks as linked

This is pretty much what Farmer seems to recommend in his writings on
Habitat.  Which is also my view.  You get the obvious advantage (which also
is a disadvantage) that players cannot demand special favors from God if
they cannot reach him.  You haven't said why you choose to do so, but hiding
maintenance does fit with the simulation approach (and even the hardcore
theatrical roleplaying approach).  It doesn't fit with the social
kindergarten or minimalist approach though. *shrug*
--
Ola