[MUD-Dev] Re: After a long absense, a semi-return (and TFD)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sun Sep 27 23:18:26 CEST 1998

On 10:56 PM 9/27/98 -0700, I personally witnessed J C Lawrence jumping up
to say:

>What is the difference between an admin character able to alter the
>world thru super-commands, and a normal "puny" character whose player
>also has access to the admin console of the game?

The admin character carries special powers that make it difficult for him
to experience what a particular area is like for a low-level character.
Separating the character and the administration permits the player to
separate his administration role from his character's role in play, and
thus allows him to more easily enjoy the game.

When those commands are easily accessible from your character, admins
rapidly forget what commands are available to the average player and what
commands are restricted to admins. Separating administrative commands into
a separate console *maintains* their separation in the admin's mind.

>The difference can easily be argued as non-existent.

Functionally, the difference *is* more or less nonexistent.
Psychologically, there is a BIG difference.

As the fire burneth a wood, and the flame setteth the mountains on fire;
So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm.
Caliban Tiresias Darklock     <caliban at darklock.com> | "Hell, you don't
Darklock Communications   <http://www.darklock.com/> |  know me."
FREE KEVIN MITNICK!   <http://www.kevinmitnick.com/> |    - Charles Manson