[MUD-Dev] Re: META: who are we?

Marc Hernandez marc at jb.com
Mon Sep 28 22:50:31 CEST 1998

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Koster, Raph wrote:

}I am somewhat curious, because I know that there are a lot of people on
}the list who just listen but do not post much. I was wondering about
}those people, and what they are interested in seeing on the list.

	I just started posting.  Hopefully I will be able to ask good
questions and answer a few if I can.

}How many of you are from a Diku background, like me? And might be

	Im not actually from a mud background at all (unless you count
accounting software :-) ).  I have been programming in the computer
industry for a little while (3 years) and am now going back to finish my
schooling and learn all the theory behind much that is taken for granted,
and be exposed to subject I might not study on my own.

}interested in stuff that is codebase specific? How many find that stuff

	Im interested in codebase specific stuff at the level where it can
be generally useful.  In many cases examples of how to use some theory is
needed anyway and showing it in your favorite base is probably best.

}anathema and think it should be avoided at all costs? How many think the
}list is too theoretical, or feel intimidated by the frequent posters and
}by the volume of past history and discussions that seems to be requied
}knowledge in order to participate?

	Im intimidated by all of that.  I have done a couple of passes
through the archives.  I noticed that some of the mentioned topics in the
FAQ dont necessarily have Subject heading equivelents.  Nonetheless it is
a valuable resource.

}-Raph
}--
}MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.

Marc Hernandez		marc at eisoftware.com
Programmer		www.eisoftware.com