[MUD-Dev] Re: Simulation (Was Re: Room descriptions)

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Tue Sep 29 15:47:38 CEST 1998

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> Koster, Raph wrote:
> > Maybe I learned something about exactly how much it takes to get to
> > where you're going. ;) Seriously, though, what we learned with UO was
> > that you can provide a billion little interactions, and you're still no=
> > gonna get to that full simulationist world--and that once you get there=
,
> > it may not be fun.
>=20
> Hmm... Simple "simulationist" worlds can be great fun. Predesigned levels
> does of course help, but (AI) heuristics could help you with that.
>=20
> Predesigned classic simulation fun:
>=20
>    Boulder Dash
>    Lemmings
>=20
> Generated classic simulation fun:
>=20
>    Elite
>    Populous
>    Worms
>   =20
> Btw, realism wasn't an issue in those games. If destruction is more fun t=
han
> building =3D> let the system (re)build.
>=20
> Your problem probably is in creating a medieval simulation. That's a
> dramatic problem, not a simulation problem? Maybe that is a problem local=
> UO and not a general MUD problem?

I must agree with this.  Fantasy themes are ubiquious for text muds, and I
think that's largely because it works so well.  Doing projectile weapons,
which are generally considered a requirement for any modern, post-modern,
cyberpunk, or other sci-fi setting, is very difficult with text.  Melee
combat, on the other hand, works extremely well.

Interestingly enough, the reverse is true with graphical games.  Descent
melee fighting didn't show up in arcade games until the genre with over a
decade old.  Now that 3D is all the rage, the vast majority of
combat-centric games are based around projectile weaponry (Quake et al),
since it is much easier to implement.

So then, one can only imagine that doing a in simulation, there are certain
themes which are much more difficult than others, graphic requirements asid=
e.
I tend to think that, similar to the examples above, or other simulationist
games (for example, Creatures), an abstract concept works much better, sinc=
you get to define your own rules instead of having to model the "real" worl=
and a "real" setting.

How about a Gibsonesque "cyberspace" (ack, I'm sure you can think of a less
worn-out term) where hackers try to invade corporate servers and do battle
against guardian ICE programs?  How about a lighter theme - ToonMUD (cue
archive search), or something in the vein of Furcadia?  (Aside: Furcadia
*almost* works under WINE now; you can make a character and connect, but
some of the graphics get scrambled during play.)

Granted, coming up with a good theme is not easy, either.  But it might
be worth it in the freedom it would give you as far as your world's
physical laws etc.

Adam W.