[MUD-Dev] Re: A little help

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Tue Sep 29 20:15:39 CEST 1998

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 Michael.Willey at abnamro.com wrote:
>=20
> Think of it as a virtual lollipop.  It's a nearly meaningless
> reward in any practical sense, but it's also a way to
> convey attention (our only form of currency in this medium,
> some would suggest).  Turning this pointless reward into a
> ceremony with celebration following results in a far greater
> reward than any other we could give.
>=20

An alternative that i have yet to see tried out would be a listing
of everything a person have contributed to the game. Such a listing
would also be a 'virtual lollipop', but much less meaningless since
it gives the contributor some social status directly derived from
the work done. Also you'd not get into problems such as 'why does
buffy get an admin level for doing xxx, when buffo didn't get one=20
for doing yyy .. that unfair!'. If anyone have had experiences with
this kind of reward (other than monetary) in a multi contributions=20
virtual world, i'd very much like to know.

Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt         | =20
email: bombman at diku.dk        |  voice:      +45 40383492=20
  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk              |  voice work: +45 45252425
phone-mail:                   |  address:
  40383492 at sms.tdm.dk         |       Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt,
WWW-home                      |       Dybendalsvej 74 2. th,
  http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/hhs/  |       2720 Vanl=F8se, Danmark.

Student of Computer Science   | Scientific programmer at Center for
  and Information Psychology. |   Biological Sequence Analysis,
  at University of Copenhagen |   Technical University of Denmark.