[MUD-Dev] Simulation (Was Re: Room descriptions)

Tue Sep 29 21:34:23 CEST 1998

Koster, Raph wrote:
> Maybe I learned something about exactly how much it takes to get to
> where you're going. ;) Seriously, though, what we learned with UO was
> that you can provide a billion little interactions, and you're still not
> gonna get to that full simulationist world--and that once you get there,
> it may not be fun.

Hmm... Simple "simulationist" worlds can be great fun. Predesigned levels
does of course help, but (AI) heuristics could help you with that.

Predesigned classic simulation fun:

   Boulder Dash
   Lemmings

Generated classic simulation fun:

   Elite
   Populous
   Worms

Btw, realism wasn't an issue in those games. If destruction is more fun than
building => let the system (re)build.

Your problem probably is in creating a medieval simulation. That's a
dramatic problem, not a simulation problem? Maybe that is a problem local to
UO and not a general MUD problem?
--
Ola