[MUD-Dev] Re: META: What are you looking for in this list?

Matt Chatterley chattemp at ee.port.ac.uk
Wed Sep 30 12:40:26 CEST 1998

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:

[Snip]

>   What is *YOUR* purpose and interest in this list?  What would you
> really like to get out of the list?  What would you like to do with
> the list?  Some I know are here purely for the technical aspects of
> server development (an area that has received little coverage on the
> list of late): how to write performant networking code, how to tune
> and design their data model, what the concerns and techniques are in
> writing a MUD programming language ala LP/MOO/MUF/ColdC/etc.  Others
> I know are interested in hack'n'slash game design, RP, real virtual
> world creation, etc. etc, etc, etc.

Why am I here? I don't know, really. The atmosphere is probably what
keeps me above all; the flow of ideas, their dissection and
reconstitution. Digging into old ways of doing things, looking at why and
how, and then questioning them, its all about advancing what we do, really.

But with that, theres an element of exploring what has, is, and can (and
will, AND might) be done, as well as asking why we do it at all. The list
has many facets, which appeal to many different people, and the result to
me seems to be a discussion group which is balanced between the
theoretical, the technical and the political.

--
	-Matt Chatterley