[MUD-Dev] Re: Simulation (Was Re: Room descriptions)

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Sep 30 13:41:50 CEST 1998

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>=20
> Interestingly enough, the reverse is true with graphical games.  Descen=
> melee fighting didn't show up in arcade games until the genre with over=
> decade old.  Now that 3D is all the rage, the vast majority of
> combat-centric games are based around projectile weaponry (Quake et al)=
,
> since it is much easier to implement.

Well, not really. Lots of very successfull melee fighting games have been=
=20
made with 3D ..Tekken (I?,II,II) (hand2hand), Soulblade(swords etc.), and=
=20
so on.. Ofcause i'm talking mainly console games, not PC games. I'd actua=
lly=20
_love_ to see something like Soulblade handle the melee in a MUD-like gam=
e.
As you point out tho' controlling that with commands on a keyboard in
'traditional' MUD-style would be kind of hard. It would require a merging
of technologies, making some kind of hybrid game with both joy-pad and
keyboard commands available.

Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt         | =20
email: bombman at diku.dk        |  voice:      +45 40383492=20
  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk              |  voice work: +45 45252425
phone-mail:                   |  address:
  40383492 at sms.tdm.dk         |       Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt,
WWW-home                      |       Dybendalsvej 74 2. th,
  http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/hhs/  |       2720 Vanl=F8se, Danmark.

Student of Computer Science   | Scientific programmer at Center for
  and Information Psychology. |   Biological Sequence Analysis,
  at University of Copenhagen |   Technical University of Denmark.