[MUD-Dev] Virtual machine design

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Mon Apr 19 00:35:34 CEST 1999

Petri Virkkula wrote:

> Ben> 2)  Common users can script, so I definately see the need for simple
> Ben> scripting.
>
>         What's the difference between scripting and programming? Is
>         scripting a some sort of "ad hoc programming"?

Nothing technical, really.  Just the complexity of the system,
and the options available to the coder.

>         IMHO it is very desirable to make protection between objects,
>         ie. if an object makes an illegal operation it cannot (too badly)
>         disturb state of other objects or the system as whole. Ie. the
>         interpreter works just like an operating system, but with
>         smaller granularity. It is also desirable to have more higher
>         level services, for example it easier just to
>         write_file("myfile", "append this text\n") instead of opening
>         a file, appending something to it and then closing the file.

I guess I'm addicted to having infinate control and power over the system.
For the most part I will never cast void pointers, but if I need to,
then I sure don't want to be restricted.  Same goes for random access
into files and other nasty things.  Maybe it would be good to
have a language that won't let me, for my own sanity..

--
Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444        (Released under GPL)

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu