[MUD-Dev] Virtual machine design

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 21 02:29:48 CEST 1999

On 20 Apr 99,, Koster, Raph wrote:
> > From: Jon A. Lambert [mailto:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com]
> >
> > "ToonTalk - An Animated Programming Environment for Children"
> >  Ken Kahn
> >  see <URL: http://www.toontalk.com/English/papers.htm>
>
> Dr Amy Bruckman's students at Georgia Tech were investigating doing MUD
> programming in this manner, and Ken Kahn came out there to talk to them
> about it. To be more precise, I think they were talking about it in the
> context of MOO softcode. She was telling me all about it at GDC, but that's
> all the detail I remember. She said it was a real eye-opener for her
> students. :)

BTW, you can get a trial or beta of it at the above site.  There's also an
article explaining how Toontalk's concurrency model works, which may also be
of interest.  Also Civilization III is out and has some really creative new
interfaces.  Civ-I and II players will probably hate them, but the interface
design is interesting and well-worth a peek.

I've been looking at ways to implement an iconicized language on top of my
existing model in order to make a user-friendly building/programming language.
The hard thing is getting out of this "programmer" mind-set.  I'll admit I had
some major difficulties with Toontalk, because I was thinking about what was
going on under the covers, rather than accepting the veneer as a 4-year old
might.  Kahn mentions a few metaphors in his papers that are spot-on for muds.
Well identified fantasy/sci-fi objects and everything that goes along with the
city/house/room metaphors are useful.

--
--*     Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD       Email:jlsysinc at .ix.netcom.com      *--
--*     Mud Server Developer's Page <http://pw1.netcom.com/~jlsysinc>      *--

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu