[MUD-Dev] question about tile-based games

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Aug 11 18:56:38 CEST 1999

On 01:03 PM 8/11/99 -0700, I personally witnessed Katrina McClelan jumping
up to say:

>Though I suspect that a bigger problem is the situation where Joe (marked
>by J) decides to annoy Bobo (marked by the B) and does the following (the
>#'s marks walls):
>
>                      # # # # #
>              # # # # #       #
>                      J   B   #
>              # # # # #       #
>                      # # # # #
>
>You might be well off to allow passing through a square (if not stopping)
>that is occupied by an non-hostile being (similar to games like Final
>Fantasy Tactics, or Vandal Hearts). (ie when Bobo tried to go on top of
>Joe, he'd end up on the other side of Joe, not the same square as Joe)

Let's add Mike and Alan to the equation. Mike and Alan are vicious,
powerful warriors that Bob has no hope of defeating. So they walk into this
same room behind Joe.

                      # # # # #
              # # # # #       #
              A   M   J   B   #
              # # # # #       #
                      # # # # #

Joe does something nasty and evil to Bob, and then runs off presumably with
Bob in hot pursuit to kick his ass. Running into Mike, Joe passes into the
next vacant square -- between Alan and Mike.

                      # # # # #
              A J M B         #
                      # # # # #

How does Bob manage to do anything to Joe? Certainly, he can go out of the
room, but how does he manage to do anything at all to Joe? Is this sort of
behavior considered acceptable?

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu