[MUD-Dev] question about tile-based games

Jeremy Jeremy
Wed Aug 11 13:22:51 CEST 1999

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Chris Gray wrote:

> I'm working on a tile-based demonstration world right now, and have run into
> something that I'm not sure how to resolve. So, I thought I'd ask others out
> there what they have done in this situation.

<snip all the options except...>

Why not have a starting area where everyone that logs on starts in a
certain area (it kinda sounds like that is your intention, because if they
just came back in wherever they left and you had a reasonable sized world
it just wouldn't usually matter).  That area has no traps, areas that
shouldn't be gotten to, etc., and has 300 tiles that are flagged as
startup tiles (increase number for increased numbers of concurrent
logins).  These 300 tiles are then used in order, if someone is standing
on tiles 1 through 97 the next person to log in gets placed on 98.

If you are having them log out and log back in standing in the same spot
then I don't think it would be a problem if you had a reasonably large
world, though you would have to put some minor error-checking to keep from
putting somebody in a wall or whatever.

Sterling @ Wyld Knight

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu