[MUD-Dev] Game design and gender: An interesting article

Cynbe ru Taren cynbe at muq.org
Tue Aug 31 12:32:32 CEST 1999

| rezo at darkstar.qx.net wrote:
|
| On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Marian Griffith wrote:
| >
| > There is no such thing as an emergent girl game market. There is only the
| > anti-girl marketing.
|
| Those two paragraphs just summed up why few game designers aim for the
| female market.  It is a hard target.
|
| [...]
|
| The single biggest explanation for why game companies don't aim at girls,
| though, is that they really don't know how.  Marketing 101 tells you that if
| they could make a game guaranteed to sell 100,000 copies to girls they
| would.
|
| Sterling @ Wyld Knight

Remember Purple Moon?  My wife's thesis advisor was a principal, and our hedgehogs
modelled for one game.

Purple Moon wrote specifically for the female gamer market (the name was picked as
deliberate "anti-boy marketing", to adapt Marian's phrase) and the principals lacked
neither smarts nor motivation.

My guess is that "It is a hard target." hits it right on the nose.

 Cynbe

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu