[MUD-Dev] The Best Guy on the Mud Thing

Ilya Ilya
Tue Aug 31 20:07:31 CEST 1999

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 12:25:40 +1200, Colin Coghill wrote:
))
))Something I've been toying with is letting player characters train
))their skills, and spend time learning and so on, while offline.
))
))So if you're in a library when you quit, you may log back on to
))find your knowledge has increased. Or if you're in the wilderness
))you come back to discover your hunting skills improved.
))
))Nowhere near the speed they would if you were actively playing (after
))all, this is no-risk), but still quickly enough that your character
))doesn't stand still if you're away for a week.
))
))I'm not sure how well it'll work.
))
))- Colin

I love it!  It was done in this great paper and pencil game that
I played a lot around 1982 when I was off work for several months
with cancer.  Played a LOT of games back then!  Anyway, this was
a game of the time of Cyrano, and you played a low life in France
that could perhaps climb slowly to the top of the social ladder
and maybe swashbuckle and toady a bit along the way.

In this game you would write down your plan for the next week
in terms of how you would spend your time.  Very low ranked
fellas (subalterns in the Cavalry regiment, for example) would
have a LOT of time used up sweeping out stables, and only a
little time left for practicing swordplay or toadying with your
hero.  You could arrange meetings in advance, and they would
benefit usually everybody in the group (the highest social standing
might get points from having so many admirers/toadies; the
toadies would get a few points just from how much higher standing
their hero was, etc).  You could earn "favors" which you could
trade in with the appropriate rank of person (favors came in
levels, from low to high, depending on the rank of person they
could be used with).  You could then sometimes parlay multiple
low ranked favors into a single higher ranked one, and so forth.

Favors would get you appointments or promotions, field commands,
repostings or new assignments, or perhaps just a liaison with
a lovely lady of your choice.

It was a hell of a lot of fun, and thanks for reminding me of it.

I think it could work well in the way you are thinking for your
own folk.  They too could set up a plan for their away time, and
then the world would move ahead, albeit more slowly, in their
absence, and they would benefit a tad too!

Cheers,

Ilya

--
  Ilya, Game Commandos     http://www.gamecommandos.com