[MUD-Dev] The grass is always greener in the other field

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Thu Dec 16 17:09:16 CET 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:29:11 -0600
Koster, Raph <rkoster at origin.ea.com> wrote:

> J C Lawrence wrote:

>> Its rather sad that UOL's limited world size and population
>> density simply prevent hiding of objects in obscure locations.

> Don't underestimate just how much people want to keep around that
> serves no valid game purpose. Being able to stash it somewhere
> where it won't be found isn't going to help you the admin any. :)

Which is one of the reasons that I'm rather surprised that one of
the larger commercial servers hasn't picked up on the idea of
ur-objects yet.  You just gradually decay such stashed objects back
into increasingly generic objects (which consume less and less
storage), and then finally true ur-objects which are merely pointers
to a common definition.

It poses rather jarring verisimilitude problems of course:

  But I know this was the Key to Krak last month when I stashed it!

But I suspect the players would rapidly adapt, especially if it was
combined with some sort of non-player based object recycler (cf the
"thief" NPC in many games) that preyed particularly on long-stored
objects.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu