[MUD-Dev] The grass is always greener in the other field

Timothy Dang tdang at U.Arizona.EDU
Thu Dec 16 17:21:24 CET 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Charles Hughes wrote:
> When I'm playing (not UO, but other muds) I really like the exploring
> aspect.  Finding rare items (a blue rose, a spinning top, etc) is a lot of
> fun - nobody is really hunting for the item, it has no in-game purpose,
> and it's only there to add flavor.  After I get a rare item, I tend to keep
> it until I'm forced to give it up or I give it away as a present.

I know that Raph has mentioned this aspect of hoarding before, the urge to
collect souvenirs. There are many other reasons to hoard, as well, and
thinking about game economics I've mostly thought about those other
reasons. But are there ways to tackle just this one?

It seems the best way would to create a low-overhead way for players
to keep souvenirs which has some benefit to them over hoarding the
item itself. Would it be too farfetched for each PC to have a "scrapbook"
or something of the like where they could transfer special items into the
book for safekeeping *only* as souvenirs? Presumably they would need the
ability to show off the scrapbook to others, as well.

Timothy O'Neill Dang / Cretog8
520-321-4015
One monkey don't stop no show.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu