[MUD-Dev] Fair/Unfair? Scenarios (fwd)

Travis S. Casey efindel at io.com
Thu Dec 23 12:17:50 CET 1999

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Marian Griffith wrote:
> In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Thu 16 Dec, Adam Wiggins wrote:

> > All players need are some simple tools to be able to aquire information about
> > their world without needing it to come from a room description.  For example,
> > the ability to "scan" is something left out of many muds, which I consider
> > a serious problem.
>
> I think 'scan' is a crude way to work around the -real- problem that
> most muds do not have any from of  'line of sight'  You can not look
> into the next room,  even if it is supposed to be the same street or
> market square. The implementations I have seen allow players to look
> around corners, which is equally silly as the absence of scan.

I'm not sure what the "scan" you're talking about is, but the LPs I've
been on do have a crude form of line of sight.  You can "look <direction>"
to see what's in the next "room" in that direction on most LPs, and on
many you can "peer <direction>" to see into the next five rooms in that
direction (presuming there are that many rooms in that direction).

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu