[MUD-Dev] Re: State of the art?

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Wed Feb 17 18:58:41 CET 1999

On 2/18/99, at 1:17 PM, Martin Keegan wrote:

>We have a well established system of giving people what they want: stock
>muds. Those of us who are interested in muds for their own sake (either as
>coding/thought/scientific/sociological experiment, or as a medium of
>artistic expression far richer than hypertext), rather than for their
>players' sake, however, may find it more difficult to "compete" for the
>login time of players looking for other players, since our muds will be
>offbeat and oddball, and will take time to catch on.

I don't think this is totaly true.  Most muds which are successful are
definately different to stock muds.  They had a style or idea of their own
which makes them successful.  In some cases it might be as simple as the
theme, in others it would be a more complicated relation between theme and
things like skills/races/eye catching.

By far and away the biggest draw of people to a mud is word of mouth.  Once
people have heard of your mud, more people start coming, which causes even
more people to come.  And so it goes on.  I think being different and
oddball at the start is actually a catcher, rather than something which
turns people off.

Glowing in the dark,
David.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu