[MUD-Dev] Languages (slightly offtopic, was Text Parsing)

Wed Jun 2 22:12:49 CEST 1999

[Koster, Raph:]

> Is it desirable, even in text environments, to have the command interface be
> words?

Probably to attract the initial newbies, at least. If they have a text
interface (difficult for them to use in the first place), and have to
try to figure out some non-English-like command syntax, they'll likely
give up pretty quick. Heck, likely *I'd* give up pretty quick!

For example, I was initially quite attracted to the "waving hands" spell
casting game, but quickly realized it would be a large effort for my poor
memory to learn enough to be proficient, so I never even tried. I'm lazy,
I know, but I happen to like some of my relaxation to be easy.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu