[MUD-Dev] What about goal oriented interfaces? (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Text Parsing)

Wed Jun 2 22:24:48 CEST 1999

[Ola Fosheim:]

I'm going to blythly ignore the goal oriented user interfaces question,
since I think that's one heck of a research problem in AI (or something).

> There is basically no reason to make a design which requires users to put
> things under, over, on top of, to the left of etc.  Basically, I'd like to
> see the designer ask the question "What is the minimal set of actions that
> will allow all the core experiences I want to support?". Then you make sure
> that your design invites to the kind of actions you support and make sure
> that you support those actions rather well.

Only really true if you are writing a single integrated MUD system (which
includes the scenario/world). In a system with on-line building, or with
a programming language, the author of the system itself doesn't really
have control over what the builders will do. If such control is attempted,
you're likely to end up with annoyed builders.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu