[MUD-Dev] Game Economies

Fri Jun 11 00:22:41 CEST 1999

Ross Nicoll wrote:
> Or, in the case of more sentient monsters (orks, kobolds, whatever), you
> could have a whole economy for them too, and they could organise raiding
> parties against human cities...

I agree, it sounds exciting.  Provided that you solve the basic problem:
keeping players happy.  I don't think Raph would enjoy going to his
newsgroup after an incident like that ;)  Imagine the happy camper that logs
in after one week, and finds his savings gone!  What a crappy game!  It is
probably easier to remove the ability to save money.

Maybe this could work metaphorically: The problem is that a fair share of
players in RPG's of that type don't play a stockmarket game, so they want
somewhat predictable and fair fun.  Like the fun you get at a fair, where
you get to keep the prize when you've won it!

Not to say that it is impossible to establish some other expectancies and
find some sweetspot for taxrates. I think it would take some lengthy formal
proofs to prevent hoardingstrategies in a game with great breadth. (Such
loopholes might be available to a small subset of the player base, thus
introducing perceived unfairness, complaints about cheating etc).

Another point, collecting things is fun if your collection improves.  With
the danger of sounding provocative: why kill a fun activity?
--
Ola

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu