[MUD-Dev] Game Economies

Albert thecheezeman at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 12 08:30:35 CEST 1999

At 05:34 PM 6/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
>On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>
>> Although all of us nod our heads sagely at such an idea, it unfortunately
>> boils down to the following for players logging onto the game the first
>> time:
>>
>> "Ew, this place is all rat-infested and screwed up!  What the hell? <quit>"
>>

>Well you can spin off of this... I used a dull example for the sake of the
>post, but you could have the scores of rats attract hoards of orcs that
>like them as a delicacy, keeping the rat population in check despite the
>lack of cats.  However, these orcs also compete for resources and space
>now with players.  (and once again you have a reason for things instead of
>pointless killing, going back to another thread)  There are many more
>possibilities for fantastic creatures to have strange roles in a mythical
>food chain.

Which to me, seems kinda of a waste considering the players won't really
notice all the behind-the-scenes work that is going on. Has there been
any research into the idea of doing such complicated systems "virtually",
meaning using a few simple calculations and affecting the appropriate
system, instead of actually having mobs go around competing against
each other?

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu