[MUD-Dev] Re: Roleplaying and Immersion (was: PermaDeath)

J C Lawrence claw at varesearch.com
Wed Mar 3 12:19:59 CET 1999

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:55:44 -0800 (PST)
Adam Wiggins<adam at angel.com> wrote:

> Perhaps one could say that immersion is the act of the world
> drawing you in, whereas role-playing is the act of *you* drawing
> the *world* in.

This ignores the differentiation between classical roleplaying and
functional roleplaying.  Writing specifically as a non-roleplayer, I
would define the lines as:

  Immersion: I am in this world and this world is my reality to the
  exclusion of other realities.

  Identity Roleplayer: I am this character and this character is me.

  Functional Roleplayer: I am me, and I have a character in that
  world over there, who needs to act as follows...

There are obvious scales and parallelisms for each.  Its also likely
that the above is not a compleat set.

Note: The above From: address is my new work location for those
wanting to catch me here.  "coder at kanga.nu" will continue to reach
me both at home and at work.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                        Internet: claw at varesearch.com
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu