[MUD-Dev] How to support 1000+ simultaneous connections, and some philosophy.

Wed Mar 10 07:44:33 CET 1999

[Ben Greear:]

 >Anyone know how Apache does it?

Some form of handing the new connections to the child processes? You
can do this with either BSD-style or SYSV-style sockets. That way the
original server process can keep track of how many clients each child
is serving, and try to balance them. You need some mechanism, like
maybe a shared memory segment, whereby the child processes can tell
the master when connections go away.

 >Btw, as an observer of human behavior, I don't understand, but
 >think it is significant, that as soon as the dev-mud project came
 >online, there was a rash of implementation detail posts, and then
 >almost silence on both groups.  Books have been written about
 >the outcome of clashes between a fantasy realm, and a 'real' realm.
 >I think that is what we saw played out before our eyes.  The high
 >fantasy of imaginary realms, features, and lofty goals collided
 >mightily with databases, language choice, and the ugly details of
 >reality.  After a huge amount of sparks, both lie almost in a coma.
 >
 >Am I being too melodramatic?  Did I just get dropped from the lists? :)

Yes, it has been an interesting phenomenom. Personally, I've been being
quite lazy and not doing much MUD stuff lately. Having done a bunch of
stuff for DevMud, I chose to then sit back and watch what others did.
Also, none of the other things that I was doing were directly relevant
to the project like the telnet stuff was.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu