[MUD-Dev] How to support 1000+ simultaneous connections, and some philosophy.

Thu Mar 11 08:03:09 CET 1999

[Oliver Jowett:]

 >On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Chris Gray wrote:
 >> The problem with that is that then the clients have to connect to one
 >> of those 10 ports. You might manage that if you have a special client
 >> that has a decent algorithm to balance the use, but if you rely on
 >> humans to do it, it won't work - most will use the first one all the
 >> time. There isn't any way to know which port is the least busy.

 >What about using round-robin DNS (multiple A records for the same
 >hostname)? It's using the same port, just on different IPs that all happen
 >to be on the same machine.

I'll let others answer that - my knowledge of networking is mostly as
a programmer, and not as an administrator/configurator. I'm not sure
how easy it would be to do (not in editing files, but in practical
matters), or whether it would yield decent balance among the 10.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu