[MUD-Dev] Elder Games

Sat Mar 13 11:50:28 CET 1999

[Caliban Tiresias Darklock:]

 >I think one of the things you can do, in very general terms, is to make
 >some ongoing inexhaustible aspect of the game a lot of fun but completely
 >level-independent. For example, one thing I find annoying about a lot of
 >games is the static environment. You always know that if you go three steps
 >north of town, there will be some specific area. That shouldn't always be
 >true... once someone maps out the whole game, the exploration aspect is
 >gone. If the game remaps itself somehow, then it remains explorable
 >forever. Keep some small core area static, and let everything else be
 >amorphous.

As a player, I think I'd hate it if normal terrain areas changed on me.
Areas inside strange puzzles, fine, but not the main terrain. Unless of
course you have some good in-game reason for things changing. What I
would rather have is new terrain to explore, whether it be manually
created by builders or automatically built by some good terrain
generation stuff.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu