[MUD-Dev] Mass Creation OLC Functions (idea from Elder Games)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Mar 17 23:47:04 CET 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:14:44 -0700
Chris Gray<cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA> wrote:

> I'm all in favour of generated terrain. I'm not in favour of it
> changing randomly in a given game, for no in-game reason.

The world is without form, without being, and without substance.  It
is merely a coallescence of unrealised and partially realised
probabilities.  In general, the world does not exist; it merely
speculates.  In fact, the world only exists when it is viewed, and the
manner and form in which it exists is dependent on whom it is viewed
by at that instant as that viewing arbitrarily selects and elevates
one permutation of possible existance above all others for a short
time.

Thus, when something is seen, and then others see it, and it remains
under some level or more or less continuous observation, reality
doesn't change much -- everyone sees the same instantiated possibility
as "real".  BUT, if is ceases to be seen, and if it remains unseen for
long enough, that section of reality will regress back into the
primordial boil of endless permutation and probability, ready to be
arbitrarily recreated afresh by a new viewer.

Ur-objects and seed-based regeneration of course tie into this
absolutely and utterly gorgeously.

> [After a 4 hour condo board meeting, I'm feeling argumentative
> tonight - forgive me.]

Don't even start.  They just cancelled my T1 without even a by your
leave.  I'm ticked.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu