[MUD-Dev] Mass Creation OLC Functions (idea from Elder Games)

Sun Mar 21 00:56:04 CET 1999

Nathan F Yospe wrote:
> take forever now... I will probably port it out of Java soon. Can anyone
> recommend a good cross-platform C++ GUI API? Unix, Win32, (maybe) MacOS.

Did you really mean GUI or did you mean gameAPI?  Commercial or gratis?
I've seen several free portable gameAPIs, but they are not done yet.
(Whaddya mean Unix, text? X-windows is Not Unix) Oh, I think I saw a
OpenGL GUI some time back... That would be portable, kindof.

But: I don't know any clean C++ GUIs. Period. Portable or not. Some
people like www.troll.no, but I dunno...

The "available C++ libraries FAQ" is usually your best bet for these
kinds of things...
http://www.trumphurst.com/cpplibs1.html
(I am offline so this link my be extinct)

Promising C++ crossplatform GUI libraries have this nasty habit of having
maintainers that don't follow up at the pace you want them to... Dat
sux!!! Interviews being one of many, methinks. I wouldn't reccomend this
path, if past history is an indicator of the future. One thing is a
vector-library and similar non-critical commodities, but another thing is
a library that engulfs and penetrates your code.

Maybe you should just make some effort in separating functionality from
presentation, and use the best GUI available on your development
platform? You can patch up things with virtual functions if you do it
"right". And you don't risk putting your project's life on a sinking
ship. Just don't assume the availability of anything that awt doesn't do.

What are you going to have in that GUI anyways?  I personally don't like
the rectangular GUIs that proliferate, does estethics matter to you at
all? :)

Are you sure that the most recent Java implementations are too slow? Or
that tweaking the code would be insufficient? What makes it too slow?
Graphics?
--
Ola Fosheim Groestad,Norway      http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~olag/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu