[MUD-Dev] Renaming objects.

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Mon Mar 22 18:18:27 CET 1999

On 3/22/99, at 7:39 PM, John Hopson wrote:

>	As the coder for a mud still in beta, I've gotten hordes of requests for
>craftsman skills, skills that involve creating or modifying objects.
>People want to play smiths, candlemakers, tailors, anything and everything
>that involves making something for sale and want some sort of hardcoded
>skill that allows them to really create/modify the objects.
>
>	I've put it off until now for three main reasons.  First, I don't want
>someone creating anachronistic objects.  It's a fantasy world and people
>walking around with renamed rayguns would really break the mood.  I'm not
>as worried about this because there's really no way to stop it in the
code,
>anymore than I can stop players from speaking anachronisms through code.

Well, you can get around the anachronistic problems by making the list of
things they can embroider using a limited but large set of adjectives and
pictures...  So you only allow adjectives and nouns that are in theme.

I don't understand why your doing renaming though?  If your going to allow
a tailor, they should have to buy the silk material, cut it up into bits
and sew it together to form the end product.  Perhaps some skills involved
there which determines how good they are at sewing and stuff.  Why rename
an already existing object?

Wearing a mismatched red, blue and green suit,
David.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu