[MUD-Dev] Re: online economy behavior (was: Self-organizing worlds)

Tue Mar 23 19:50:09 CET 1999

[Christopher Allen:]

 >How about if NPCs react differently to you if you only dress 'lower class'?
 >How about if eating good food not only makes you less hungry but also earns
 >you savoir faire? How about good clothes not wearing out as fast? There
 >should be some fun ways to deal with some of these type of things if you
 >think carefully about them.

Yes, that sounds like a good thing to do. It also feeds back nicely into
the original issue of a MUD economy - if simple things like clothes wear
out, players will have to replace them. Appearance can make a big
difference in interactions with shopkeepers, guards, etc. The town inn
would be a fine place to go to "freshen up". Beards and shaving anyone?

I had a trivial variant of that in an old CP/M game - weapons had a small
but non-zero chance of breaking when you used them. The net result was
that you had to carry around at least some kind of spare weapon. Most
travellers really ought to have spare stuff in their packs.

Another possibility is that of simple accidents. E.g. if you are climbing
steep slopes or fording a mountain stream, you might slip. Likely that
wouldn't (perhaps shouldn't) be fatal, but it might well result in lost
supplies, lost weapons, damaged goods, minor injury, etc.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu