[MUD-Dev] OT: Ethics v Law

Greg Munt greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk
Sun May 2 10:31:20 CEST 1999

> > [Greg Munt, on the legal implications of censoring players' bad
language]

> > The legality of this issue is irrelevant, as far as I am
> concerned. In the
> > same way that "The law is an ass", legal activity is not neccessarily
> > 'right'. There are two sides to this whole censorship thing:
>
> [Matthew Mihaly]
>
> That's a fairly naive view of things. You don't exist in a vacuum and
> 'right' is a meaningless term without the power to back it up. The law has
> the power, and if it decides you are wrong, there isn't much you can do
> about it.

Because it is legal to do something, does not mean it is *right* to do it.
Not so long ago, it was illegal for women to vote. Some time before that, it
was legal to literally own a human being. It was never 'right', yet that's
how the law was.

'Right' is never a meaningless term. Ask your conscience to explain.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu