[MUD-Dev] Interesting dilemma

Wes Connell wconnell at adhesive.com
Mon May 3 17:42:21 CEST 1999

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Peck, Matthew x96724c1 wrote:

> I am currently facing an interesting and complicated dilemma in my mud.  The
> problem is what I call "Illegal Equipment."  This is equipment that is
> unbalanced for normal gameplay in one way or another.  Most of this
> equipment has a legitimate in-game purpose, whether it exists on mobs or as
> artifacts.  However, I have discovered that several immortals will load
> multiple copies of the items and distribute them for various reasons, from
> quest rewards to level bonuses or other reasons.  In addition, they will
> often restring the items to personalize it, yet also making the item
> difficult to detect.

Here are a  few ideas that i've IMPed in the past.
1) Add an extra stat to the object that appears when viewed or stat'd by
an IMM. Something to the effect of 'Loaded by: NaughtyImm'
2) Massive Logging.
3) Load levels. If the IMM is not equal to or above the load level then
shame on them.

You need to place the "hurt" on the source of the problems, the bad imms.
The players earned those items fair and square. I seriously doubt that a
Bubba is going to say "Hmmm...I think the Sword of Instant Death 10' is
too strong. I'll take the Sword of Blandness." Let the players keep the
equipment and eventually it will get phased out of the game. It may take a
while but eventually the equipment will get deleted/sacced/lost/etc.

Another idea I just came up with:
Give the Lower-IMMS a value which must be spent to make items.
Whether it be mana/essence/hps/whatever, they can only load so much then
they have to rest.

Sword of Instant Death 10' == 10 essence points
Sword of Blandness == 2 essence points

Get it? Even God had to rest after making the Earth ( supposedly =] )

Wes!
wconnell at adhesive.com
He who laughs last is probably your boss.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu