[MUD-Dev] Interesting dilemma

Joel Kelso joel at ee.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 4 08:50:24 CEST 1999

Peck, Matthew x96724c1 wrote:

> I am currently facing an interesting and complicated dilemma in my mud.  The
> problem is what I call "Illegal Equipment."  This is equipment that is
> unbalanced for normal gameplay in one way or another.  Most of this
> equipment has a legitimate in-game purpose, whether it exists on mobs or as
> artifacts.  However, I have discovered that several immortals will load
> multiple copies of the items and distribute them for various reasons, from
> quest rewards to level bonuses or other reasons.  In addition, they will
> often restring the items to personalize it, yet also making the item
> difficult to detect.

<snip snip snip>

> Another problem that I have is then confiscating these items.  Is there any
> way to do it nicely?  I have one immortal who has taken it upon himself to
> start clearing out these items.  While I approve of the effort, the mud has
> suddenly taken a hostile turn.  Morts seem to have gained a distrust for
> immortals.  How can I heal this rift?  No mud can survive with such conflict
> for long.  The imms will win, only to find no players.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Are you in a position to work the confiscation of such items into some
sort
of plot line, or would that involve more work than you have time for ?
Say ...

Let some sort of myth or legend come to light that says that certain
powerful
items were created by trapping powerful spirits (or something), and that
there
have been recent stirrings in the underworld.  Call for players to take
up
quests that involve tracking down the items in question, and bringing
them to
some sort of location where they can be disposed of.  This will of
course cause
all sorts of arguments and fights.  After a certain period of time,
count the
number of outstanding items, and unleash X number of really nasty demons
who
will track the items down themselves, killing everything in their path
allowing players who undertook the quests to stand at a safe distance
and
say "I told you so".

It would take some coding and would cause player vs. player friction,
but might
seem a less arbitrary way of getting rid of the items ... and it might
spark
future story ideas.

Joel Kelso

"How are things going at the Campaign for Freedom of Information ?"
"I'm sorry, I can't talk about that."
	- from "Yes, Minister"
-- http://ciips.ee.uwa.edu.au/~joel -------------------------------

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu