[MUD-Dev] Censorship, Virtual v Artificial Worlds, Python

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun May 9 20:02:59 CEST 1999

On Sun 02 May, Dan wrote:
> Matthew Mihaly <diablo at best.com> wrote:

> Preventing people using a few offensive (to some) words does not prevent
> them passing on any information they wish, assuming of course they are
> sufficiently intelligent to be able to rephrase their sentence, and that
> there is some semantic content to the sentence beyond a desire to offend
> and/or harass.

>From my experience  the majority of players will mind their language if
you politely ask them and explain why they are being offensive. The few
who refuse need to be removed from the game sooner or later.

The solution is not some form of censorship but peer pressure. When the
players make clear their dislike of certain language then it will dimi-
nish on the game, and the players who do not want to play nice are easy
to identify. If on the other hand the players do not care or in majori-
ty want to use such language  then no amount of censorship  is going to
stop them.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,