[MUD-Dev] Autogenerating maps from muds using cardinal directions for exits?

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Wed May 12 23:14:39 CEST 1999

J C Lawrence wrote:

> In a long prior life I hacked a tool to build maps from telnet game
> logs.  The algorithm was simple:
>
>   1) Pull out all command lines which contain a directional command
> (U/D/N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW) and the next line of output (the room
> desciption of the room moved to).
>
>   2) Trim out all error/"You can't do that" entries.

I will be working from my world database, and so can make complex, and
arbitrarily correct assumptions about the exits et al.  I can also
do things like stop at zone boundaries and so on...

>   4) Build a graph of nodes representing thr trimmed log (just walk
> down the log, adding nodes as new locations are found).

Care to elaborate on that part?

>   5) In the case that a reverse direction not being symmetric,
> branch (I then fixed such by hand later).

Yep, I'll probably be able to read in some kind of script that has commands
for specific rooms/exits that I want to behave in non-standard ways....

>   5) Print.

Was this ASCII, or something more advanced?  I know very little about
graphics programming, could it be programatically similar to writing to
a Canvas provided by normal GUI libraries??

--
Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444        (Released under GPL)

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu